Monday 3 February 2014

Ignorance is NOT bliss! (Part 2)

“Ignorance is bliss” is a common proverb used to mean that as long as you remain unaware of something, then whatever you are unaware of can’t hurt or affect you, for good or bad. I am of the belief that it is the very things we are unaware of that will affect us, and those around us.

Like I said in the previous blog, I was ignorant of what kings and those in authority were NOT meant to multiply and so I believed, as most of us have, that Solomon was an exemplary leader. We possibly think this because we looked at whom he had influenced, what he had achieved (i.e. The building of the Temple), and what he had amassed in wealth as being indicative of greatness. It seems our own ignorance of the whole counsel of God had us focussing on what God doesn’t focus on. He focusses on whether someone was obedient to His original instructions, and remained faithful in the position he was placed. In Solomon’s case, it was to selflessly serve the people God had entrusted to him.

In Acts 20:27, Paul says to the church leaders in Ephesus that he had not shunned to declare to them the whole counsel of God. He was concerned that after his departure there would be those who would seek to draw them away from the truth. He knew that if they didn’t know the overriding purpose and counsel of God, throughout the Scriptures, they would easily be misled. Even to Timothy, his spiritual son, he gave him the charge to present himself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, and who rightly divides the word of truth. Paul was, in essence, saying, “Ignorance in NOT bliss and what you are unaware of will affect you, and those around you.”

I remember two years ago the same YWAM leader came to speak at one of our meetings. I approached him afterwards to thank him for the Sourceview Bible he had formulated that I was using. During our conversation he mentioned a phrase that really spoke to me. He said there was a move to “Eradicate Bible poverty and increase Bible engagement.” It was after this that I began running Bible studies with the young adults I was ministering amongst. This wasn’t only to help eradicate their Bible poverty, but my own! I have facilitated many studies since then and each time I participate in one, I become more and more aware of my continued ignorance of the Word of God.  

So, why do you think we remain ignorant? (I’ll share more of my thoughts on that in my next blog)


No comments:

Post a Comment