Tuesday 15 April 2014

Seeing from God's Perspective (Part 3)

While attending Bible School 28 years ago, I was introduced to a song that was taken from Psalm 61:2, “From the end of the earth I will cry to You, when my heart is overwhelmed; lead me to the rock that is higher than I.” It’s amazing how all these years later I still remember that song, and it seems to come back to me at just the right time – when my heart is overwhelmed!

I love big rocks. I love climbing on rocks, sitting on rocks, standing on rocks, touching rocks. They are such a picture of strength, of immobility, of character and definition. Jesus was referred to as the Rock for all the above reasons and more. What made Him so unshakeable? I believe it was His deep connection with the Father and His unswerving confidence in His Word to Him. Jesus made it His utmost desire to ask what was on the Father’s heart, listen to the Father’s voice, and obey Him no matter what. He was determined to see from God’s perspective. The life Jesus lived here on earth is the life He desires to live through those who are in relationship with Him. It doesn’t take us long to discover, when reading through the gospels, that Jesus led a very disciplined life. He was dependent on the Father’s instructions and direction just as we should be. He was desirous of obeying and pleasing the Father just as we should be. He made what mattered to God, matter to Him just as we should be.

Nearly 10 years ago I received a John Maxwell Leadership Bible from a friend. John highlights certain passages adding his insights. Just today I read, “Spiritual growth doesn’t ‘just happen,’ any more than climbing a mountain ‘just happens.’ You don’t wander up a mountain and surprise yourself when you reach the top. Growth results from hard work.” This is so in line with what I shared in Parts 1 and 2. I have learned, and am endeavouring to demonstrate and challenge those I’m journeying with, that our relationship with Jesus can only grow and mature as we spend time in His Word and apply it to our lives. It’s allowing ourselves to be accountable to those we trust to ask us the hard questions: Are you in the Word? What has God been speaking to you lately? How are you applying it to your life today? Has God been saying something to you in which you are not fully obeying Him? And the one I frequently ask my spiritual children, “Did you ask God about that?” It could be concerning moving home, country, a relationship, a job, etc. And then, “Did you take the time to listen to His answer, and are you committed to fully obeying what He said?”


I know for myself I get overwhelmed because I’m not seeing something from His perspective. I’m not seeing from His perspective because I’m not in His Word, and therefore, I’m not allowing the Rock to stabilize me and re-direct me. I believe this is the same for all of us. We can only experience the reality of God when we’ve disciplined ourselves enough to take the time to be in His Word and allow it to divide soul and spirit and judge the thoughts and attitudes of our hearts. Truly, are we seeing our lives from God’s perspective?

No comments:

Post a Comment